Thursday, April 24, 2008

A DAY TO REMEMBER

Welcome to my blog! I have been thinking about this for quite some time but today is the day I will begin. I have things to share about the blog itself, but for my first day as a blogger, I have more pressing matters to write about.

APRIL 24, 2008. Today is such a BIG day for our family!! I can hardly believe it! Allen and I have been busy these last few months thinking, praying and going through the tedious process of adoption. Perhaps I shouldn't use the word "tedious" because I know that some folks wait for years to bring adopted children into their home. We began the process less than 3 months ago...and today was the day our children were told that they have a mom, dad and three sisters waiting to be their forever family in Cambridge, MN. As soon as we got the news, I texted Lindsay, Kristin and Steph. My cell was not working very well so I wasn't even sure they got the message. (Did I mention that we are in Puerto Vallarta celebrating our 25th anniversary?) It was frustrating because I just wanted so badly to talk to each of them about it...and I couldn't!

We decided to go to the beach for the afternoon and try to call later in the afternoon. I finished my book, took a walk by the beach and went parasailing...all relatively unimportant but really fun things to do on such a special day. We came back to the room and were able to connect with each of the girls. Lots of emails, lots of talking, lots of excitement...

Allen and I ate at a wonderful Italian restaurant by the marina as the sun set for the day. Shortly after we got back to our room, we received a call from the Philippines. The first thing we heard from our newest daughter was, "Hi, Mom and Dad!" Wow! I'm not sure exactly how to describe what this felt like but it was strange and wonderful all at the same time. We talked briefly to all three of our "new" kids. Our conversations with each of them were short, uncomplicated, yet meaningful. It was a great way to end a spectacular day. Today, indeed was a day to remember.

1 comment:

Rhiannon said...

Hello Mary, I just came across your blog by hitting the "next blog" button when I was done looking at my family blog. I read several of your posts and I just read this one and you made me cry!!! (In a good way, of course!)
We have a 2 year old and a 3 month old, but we hope to adopt a child in a few years -so it was very touching for me to read.
I will check back on your blog from now & then. Thanks for sharing your love for God and all his children.
-Rhiannon